- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 can (15 ounces) cut sweet potatoes in syrup, reserve
- 1/4 cup syrup, drain remainder
- 1 can (15 ounces) 100% pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large or extra large eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 prepared, refrigerated single-crust piecrust
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine sweet potatoes, reserved syrup, coconut milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, melted butter, 2 eggs, cinnamon, ginger and allspice in the work bowl of a food processor. Process in pulses until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Line a pie plate with prepared crust and crimp the edges. Note that you will have to roll the crust to be about 1 inch bigger all around if using a 9 1/2-inch pie plate.
- Fill crust with the filling and even the surface. Bake for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the remaining egg, coconut, corn syrup and vanilla in a mixing bowl until well combined. Spread over the surface of the baked filling. Return to the oven and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes, until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 250; Total fat 12g; Saturated fat 7g; Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 125mg; Carbohydrate 35g; Fiber 3g; Protein 4g; Vitamin A 160%DV*; Vitamin C 6%DV*; Calcium 2%DV*; Iron 8%DV* * Daily Value
NotesEarly American settlers didn’t take long to turn native New World pumpkins into a sweet custard “pye” in the old English tradition. If you’re still serving your pumpkin pie in that time-honored way, we’ve got a revolution for you. This fusion recipe starts with a typical colonial pumpkin custard (seasoned with cinnamon and allspice), mixes in some soulful sweet potatoes, and then gives it a Caribbean stir of coconut milk and a vanilla-scented candied coconut topping.