- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For Chicken:
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 c. table salt
- gound black pepper
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- For Shallot & Vermouth Sauce:
- 1 large shallot, minced (about Tbsp.)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 3/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 c. dry vermouth
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter cut into 4 pieces
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Dissolve salt in 2 qt. water in a large bowl or dutch oven.
- Immerse chicken into brine and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Remove chicken from brine, rinse, pat dry with paper towels, and season with ground pepper.
- Place oven rack on bottom level and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Heat oil in heavy-bottomed 12-in. oven proof skillet over med-high heat until beginning to smoke.
- Swirl to coat the bottom evenly with oil and brown chicken pieces until deep golden, about 5 min.
- Turn chicken and brown until golden on second side, about 4 min longer.
- Place the skillet into the oven and roast until the thickest part of the breast registes 160 degrees.
- Using a potholder or oven mitt, remove the skillet from the oven.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a platter and let rest while making sauce.
NotesFrom America's Test Kitchen
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes for Vitality
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
My Family CookbookSee More
Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille Archiduc
Chicken MoleSee More