- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For Chicken:
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 c. table salt
- gound black pepper
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- For Shallot & Vermouth Sauce:
- 1 large shallot, minced (about Tbsp.)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 3/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 c. dry vermouth
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter cut into 4 pieces
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Dissolve salt in 2 qt. water in a large bowl or dutch oven.
- Immerse chicken into brine and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Remove chicken from brine, rinse, pat dry with paper towels, and season with ground pepper.
- Place oven rack on bottom level and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Heat oil in heavy-bottomed 12-in. oven proof skillet over med-high heat until beginning to smoke.
- Swirl to coat the bottom evenly with oil and brown chicken pieces until deep golden, about 5 min.
- Turn chicken and brown until golden on second side, about 4 min longer.
- Place the skillet into the oven and roast until the thickest part of the breast registes 160 degrees.
- Using a potholder or oven mitt, remove the skillet from the oven.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a platter and let rest while making sauce.
NotesFrom America's Test Kitchen
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Hard Rock Cafe Cole Slaw Clone
Mashed Sweet PotatoesSee More