- Cooking Time: 20
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryA great dip, bursting with flavor! Wonderful with thick cut potato chips. Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise (Hellman's)
- Cut the onions in half, and then slice them into 1/8-inch-thick half rounds (you will have about 3 cups of onions.)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan on medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 mor minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.