- Cooking Time: 0
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 Pandoro Cake - found in local Italian markets in the US and Italy
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Limoncello - I use my own homemade version
- Colored sprinkles (optional)
- Prepare just a few hours before your party or the cake can get a little soggy
- Slice Pandoro cale horizontal into 5-6 slices
- Set slices aside in order from bottom to top
- Starting with the bottom slice, place on decorative plate or platter
- Set aside 1/4 cup of Limoncello
- Whip the shipping cream along with remaining 1/4 cup of limoncello
- Using pastry brush, "paint" cut part of this layer with reserved limoncello until just damp
- Spread top with whipped cream mixture
- Top with 2nd layer of Pandoro cake, offsetting the points to resemble branches of a a Christmas Tree.
- (It is ok if some of the whip cream drips out between the layers as it give it the effect of snow on the Christmas tree.
- Repeat "painting" with Limoncello and Limoncello whipped cream for addition layers, alternating the points.
- Top the tree with the last of the limoncello whipped cream
- If desired, lightly shake colored sprinkles over all to complete Christmas tree effect.
NotesI first had this cake on our 2nd trip to Sicily visiting my wife's family. It was the holidays and Pandoro cakes are everywhere. These are less well know here in the US, where most stores stock Panattone fruit cales for Christmas. Our cousins, Serafino and Francesca made this wonderful, dressed-up, Pandoro for a party and I wanted to add it to my repertoire for my Annual Christmas Cookie Party. I usually make it with a commercially available cake, rather than making my own, as it requires a special pan and a bit of talent. I now have a excellent local source of these cakes, so I needn't bother.
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
A Happy Life Cookbook : Recipes for a Healthy Life
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Mushroom & Nut Pate
Chuck's Pumpkin Cup Pie: Pushing DaisiesSee More