- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar
- Saute onion in butter. Set aside.
- Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux).
- Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the broccoli, carrots and onions.
- Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now.
- Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.
NotesHere's a great clone of Panera's Broccoli Cheese Soup...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
VivaVeganGal's Family Favorites
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More