PAPA'S CHERRY PRESERVES
- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 4 1/2 cups pitted and chopped sour cherries
- 7 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (optional: I never use it)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 6-ounce bottle pectin
Measure the prepared cherries into a large, heavy kettle. Add the
sugar and stir well. Place over high heat and, stirring constantly,
bring quickly to a full boil, with bubbles over the entire surface.
Add the remaining ingredients except the pectin. Boil hard for 1
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add the
pectin. Skim off any foam. Ladle into 8 hot half-pint jars.
Seal, then process for 4 minutes in a hot water bath, counting
the time from when the water comes again to a rolling boil after
immersing the jars.