- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 slices of Extra Sour Dough Bread
- 12 thin slices of Beef Salami
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Salt & Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
- Slice the salami into thin slices, enough for 3 - 4 slices per slice of bread. Fry the salami in a hot skillet. The salami may begin to "dome", if so, just make a slice in it from the center out, and flatten. Once both sides are nice and brown set aside on a paper towel until french toast is done.
- Beat eggs (2 eggs is enough for 4 slices of bread) a small amount of milk, salt and pepper to taste in a wide bowl. Melt some butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Quickly dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture and put into frying pan. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
- To serve, butter the top of the french toast, put 3 slices of cooked salami on top and sprinkle with desired amount of Parmesan cheese.
NotesThis is not your typical french toast recipe. It's savory, its flavorful and its loaded with warm memories.
When my grandparents were first married, living in Canada, my grandfather would go to the various markets buying meats, cheeses and breads. Never liking "sweet" breakfasts, instead of putting syrup on his french toast, he topped it with the meats and cheeses he bought. Over the years, it evolved into a delicious family favorite that he'd make for us on special occasions and holidays.
I hope you enjoy this as much as the many generations of my family does.