- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 3 dozen
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 1/3 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sugar for decorating
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sugars and shortening using an electric mixer.
- Mix on slow speed for 30 seconds, then scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
- Increase speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes. Slowly add vanilla extract and egg while mixing.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, mixing on slow speed until just blended. Do not overmix.
- Dough may be rolled out on lightly floured board and cut with cookie cutters or scooped with an ice cream scoop and placed directly on cookie sheet. If scooped, flatten with palm of hand.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 9 to 10 minutes. Cookies are done when small cracks appear. Ideally, the edges do not brown. Sprinkle liberally with sugar after baking.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
MetroCooking DC 2013
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More