PARAGUAYAN CORN BREAD
- Cooking Time: 45
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium onions; chopped fine
- 8 tablespoon margarine, divided
- 1/2 lb farmer or cottage cheese
- 1/2 lb muenster cheese; shredded coarse
- 2 cups cream-style corn (16 oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt; preferably coarse
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 6 eggs separated
- 1 pinch ground anise seed (optional)
Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour.
Shake to remove excess.
In skillet saute onions in 4 tablespoons margarine.
Add farmer cheese, blend thoroughly.
Add Muenster cheese, onions, corn, salt, milk, and cornmeal, mix thoroughly.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then lightly beat yolks separately.
Add yolks, and stir into cornmeal mixture.
Add anise seed if using.
Fold in egg whites and turn into prepared baking pan.
Bake in preheated 400 degree oven 45 minutes or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve hot, cut in squares.