- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- The crust is a very basic recipe. I make one crust at a time. The recipe below is for 1 crust, I find it easier to work with on crust at a time. Double for two crusts.
- 1 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c shortening
- 3 TBLS of ice cold water
- 10 fresh peaches pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar mixed with 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl and then cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or large fork. Then blend in water a little at a time until the dough is moistened and can be formed into ball.
- Roll out dough and place it in the 9 inch pie dish. Slice a half of a stick of butter in the bottom of the crust.
- Place sliced peaches in single layers with the sugar/ cornstarch mixture sprinkled in between each layer until the dish is full.
- Top the pie with the second crust. Be sure to pierce the crust so that the steam can exit the pie. Brush with an egg and water wash.
- Bake pie for an hour at 350 degrees.
NotesThis is the recipe that was passed on from my maternal grandmother to my dad (her son-in-law). My grandmother's children have never learned how to bake- because my grandmother does not measure her ingredients- she just "eye balls" it and it is very difficult to get the recipes just right, so they are happy to allow her to bake all of the goodies! The following recipe is the best version that my dad has come up with while watching and assisting my grandmother in the kitchen.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Gluten-Free and Delicious
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More