- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 (wow, again, 2 here)
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus (about 30 large)
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 lemons cut in wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- If the stalks of the asparagus are thick, peel the bottom half of each. Lay them in a single layer on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and return to the oven for another minute. Serve with lemon wedges.
- NOTE Ina prefers thick asparagus to thin ones; they have much more flavor.
NotesThis recipe came from Best of the Best (the best recipes from the 25 best cookbooks of the year in 2003, from Food & Wine). This recipe comes from Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. For this recipe she says, "Italians often eat their vegetables as "antipasti," that is, before the main course. This is a very easy first course that I sometimes serve in the classic Italian way, topped with a single fried egg."
Food & Wine Tip: Definitely look for thicker spears, as thin ones will overcook easily. Also instead of popping the asparagus back in the oven to melt the cheese, sprinkle it on as soon as the asparagus are out and it will melt on contact.