- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for preparing the baking dish
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 ½ pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/8 inch thick-slices
- ½ pound (about 2 cups) Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Coat a large oval gratin dish or 9 x 13 inch baking dish with butter.
- In a 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the 6 tablespoons butter and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently until it turns light tan, about 1 minute.
- Add the cream, bring to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, until reduced by one-third, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and two-thirds of the cheese. Add the cream mixture and stir to combine. Transfer the potato-cream mixture to the prepared baking dish and, using a rubber spatula, level the mixture. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and seal the edges well.
- Bake the gratin until some of the cream is absorbed by the potatoes, about 45 minutes. Remove the foil and evenly scatter the remaining Parmesan cheese over the top. Continue baking, uncovered, until the liquid is bubbling, the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, and the cheese is nicely browned, about 30 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve directly from the dish.
NotesThis is from a Nordstrom's Entertaining book we got from my boyfriend's mother. I made this for a dinner party, and it was a hit!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Delicious Recipes Made EasySee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More