- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 (10 ounces) packages frozen chopped spinach/ thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 small green onions, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chopped spinach, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, butter, green onion, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into golf ball sized balls.
- Arrange the balls in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Don't allow the balls to touch one another.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Serve warm or an room temp with a good quality mustard or other sauce of your choice.
NotesYears ago I found a recipe for spinach balls and made them for a Christmas dinner. I knew at the time they were an "off the wall" recipe but they were great. I was years realizing that my family,with their great sense of humor, never forgot spinach balls, simply because it wasn't the meat and potatoes they were used to.
A cookbook was prepared for me on my 60th birthday and my son and daughter said spinach balls had to be included. They were right!! It is an excellent appetizer and worth fixing. Be prepared for some jokes if you have a meat and potato family like mine.