- Cooking Time: 3-4h on hi, 6-8h on low
- Preparation Time: 10 min
- 2 Tbl. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, cut into ⅛-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-oz.) can 100% pure pumpkin
- 2 qt. vegetable or chicken broth
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground white pepper
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 Tbl. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 3 to 4 hours on high, 6 to 8 hours on low
- All recipes use a 5- to 6-qt. cooker — you’ll have leftovers for the week
- 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto and sauté until crisp, about 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium, add onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook a few seconds. Stir in pumpkin, broth, nutmeg, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker, cover and cook 3 to 4 hours on high, or 6 to 8 hours on low.
- 3. Stir in cream and cheese and cover 5 minutes. Stir in parsley. Ladle into bowls and garnish with frizzled prosciutto.
NotesFor the past couple of years, we have really enjoyed using fresh ingredients. This means using what is in season even in the winter. Squash has become one of our favorite ingredients. Also one of our wedding gifts was a slow coooker. This recipe came up at the perfect time!
We used homemade butternut squash puree!