- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 20 -30
- Preparation Time: 45
- For the dough:
- The dough can be made in different ways, but we choose here the simplest and easiest. As a short cut, you can also buy pie crust, and roll it out.
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Filling Ingredients:
- 2 spinaches
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt, pepper, oregano
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup of grated cheese
- add scrambled eggs after the spinach cools
- For the Dough (if you make it)
- Put the flour in a bowl, then add the salt and baking powder, mix well, and add the liquid (milk, oil and beaten egg) and mix. Put it in a floured table and knead the dough until it is soft. Spread it out until it is very thin, then cover it with flour or with cornstarch. Fold it in two, and do the same procedure either with flour or cornstarch…(we prefer cornstarch). Fold it again, and do the same, you can go on doing this until you get a small bulky square of dough. Cut it in almost half, one part slightly bigger than the other. Spread again the bigger part and cover the baking dish with this dough. Then you put the filling inside and cover the filling with the second piece of dough after you spread it to the size you need to cover the baking dish, sealing the border from the down part with the upper part border.
- For the Spinach Mixture:
- Cook the spinach. Let it cool, and cut into small pieces, or you can put it as in the pan. Meanwhile, fry the sliced onion, the sliced pepper and the cloves of garlic, sliced. Then drop into this pan where the onion mixture is, and the spinaches mixture, let it mix well with the other preparation, take it off the fire, add salt, all the flavors, the cheese, one egg, and mix well. Using a 9 X 12 pan, put this as a filling inside the baking dish and the half of the dough. Pour the rest of the eggs in, making sure the spinach is cool. Cover very carefully with the second part of the dough and seal it. With a little brush, paint the dough over with one egg, (i usually put 1 tsp of sugar)it will get golden all over.
- Take it to hot oven for about 30 minutes or until it is golden all even on top.
- Cut into 2 x 2 squares.
NotesThis recipes is one of my favorites, as a child and adult. This orginates from my parent's country - Uruguay. Its excellent source of vitamins!
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook 2014
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Gluten-Free and DeliciousSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More