- Cooking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 8 eggs seperated
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cornstarch
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups passion fruit juice
- 3 cups whip cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF,
- Butter and flour two 16 inch round cake pans.
- Tap the pans to remove any excess flour, set aside.
- Beat egg whites until firm peaks are formed, add sugar gradually and continue beating.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, and continue beating.
- Stir together cornstarch, flour and baking powder.
- Fold into the egg mixture with a large spatula.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Remove from the oven and cool 2 to 3 minutes before turning the cakes out on wire racks to cool.
- In a medium saucepan simmer passion fruit juice until reduced to 2 cups (If you are using fresh passion fruit there is no need to reduce it).
- Whip cream until it holds firm peaks, then gradually add 1/3 cup of passion fruit juice.
- Layer the filling between the cooled cake layers.
- Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir in enough of the passion fruit juice to make a frosting of spreadable consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the cake and quickly (wiki wiki) spread to a smooth finish.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
NotesIn honor of Kamehameha Day I thought I would share with you a recipe of a delicious Hawaiian dessert. You have to understand however that King Kamehameha would have wished this cake was available to him during his lifetime, because during his lifetime (1759-1819) the Hawaiian diet was very simple and consisted mostely of poi, fresh fish and fresh fruit.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More