- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, cut into strips
- 5 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, beans, tomatoes, broth, macaroni and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in sausage and spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
- Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 228 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 841 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
NotesThis is a very easy flavorful soup. I bought a whole package of hot turkey sausage links. Used half for this recipe and the other half for Pizza Spaghetti. I also used "enriched" pasta for the dish...whatever that means. Also some fresh italian herbs at the end. Smells so good.
From Light and Tasty
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
A Falcon FeastSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More