- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a very easy flavorful soup. I bought a whole package of hot turkey sausage links. Used half for this recipe and the other half for Pizza Spaghetti. I also used "enriched" pasta for the dish...whatever that means. Also some fresh italian herbs at the end. Smells so good.
From Light and Tasty
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, cut into strips
- 5 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, beans, tomatoes, broth, macaroni and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in sausage and spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
- Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 228 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 841 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.