Pasta alla Norma
• 1 Lb - Rigatoni
• 1 Qt. - Tomato paste
• 1 - Large eggplant
• 2 Cloves garlic
• 2 Leaves basil
• 4 Tbs - Ricotta Salata (Salted seasoned ricotta)
• EV olive oil
• Frying oil
• Salt & pepper
• Cut the eggplant into round slices 1/2 thick. Do not remove the peel.
• Deep fry the eggplants slices in oil. Once finished remove excess oil with paper towel.
• In a saucepan add EV olive oil and chopped garlic.
• Once the garlic turns blonde add the tomato paste and the basil. Salt and pepper to taste.
• Cook for 15 minutes.
• Cut the fried eggplants into strips about 1 inch wide and add to the sauce.
• Cook for an additional 10 mins.
• Cook the rigatoni and put in a large bowl. Add the sauce and mix well.
• Serve and garnish with Ricotta Salata.
Pairs Well With
Pasta alla Norma... another Sicilian signature dish. This recipe comes from Nonna Rosalia Caravella, Sicily.