- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed and washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 2 shallots, crushed and peeled
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 1/2 cups canned low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 pound pasta, preferably Barilla Campanelle
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Grana Padana or Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Add salt and broccoli rabe to the boiling water. Cook until just tender. Drain, and transfer to ice bath. When cool, drain, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallots; cook until just golden. Add sausage; saute, breaking up with the back of a spoon, until cooked through. Add broccoli rabe and stock. Cook until heated through.
- Into the same large pot, add pasta; cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
- Add pasta to skillet; toss to combine. Season with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Sprinkle with cheese; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
NotesThis recipe is from Frank deCarlo, chef at Peasant restaurant in New York City. Very easy to make at home. Great for lunch alone, or serve it after a light salad for dinner...