PASTA WITH ROASTED RED PEPPER, FRESH BASIL & PARMESAN
Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper, Fresh Basil & Parmesan
- 2 cups of dried pasta, I like super curly ones like Campanelle so it holds the flavors
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, less if you prefer it more mild
- 1 roasted pepper, thinly sliced (learn how to roast a pepper here)
- handful of basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Cooking the pasta!
Bring about 4 cups of water to boil in a medium sized pot. Once it’s boiling, sprinkle in about 1 teaspoon of salt and pour in the dry pasta. Stir so that the pasta won’t sink to the bottom and stick together. Bring that to a simmer and let it boil for about 5-10 minutes, depending on the type of pasta. Take one out to taste, you want it al dentel, with a bit of bite to it. Once ready, strain and set aside.
Step 2: The sauce!
While your water is boiling for your pasta, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium sauce pan. Throw in the diced shallots and sliced garlic. Drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil so that the butter doesn’t burn. Let that cook until the shallots are transparent and the garlic slices start to brown slightly. Now add in the tomato paste, water, red pepper flakes and roasted pepper. Let that simmer and cook down until the water thickens a little. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Mix and serve!
Once your sauce is ready, mix in the strained pasta. Stir until the pasta is mixed in with the sauce thoroughly. Turn off the heat and stir in the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Right before serving, mix in the basil leaves!
This dish is incredibly easy to make and super quick. Perfect for whipping up a fast dinner after a long day of work. It has very little sauce, but lots of flavor. Theres nothing better than a simple home cooked meal.. mmm! So happy to be home!
Website Credit: http://www.vanillalatte.com/2011/06/07/pasta-with-roasted-red-pepper-fresh-basil-parmesan/