- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- cooked pasta
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp
- 1 bulb of fennel, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 32 oz can crushed tomato's
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 c fresh peas
- a generous handful of fresh basil
- Heat a skillet over med-high heat and add 1 tsp olive oil just to coat the bottom of the pan. Remove sausage from casing and cook until browned. Set aside.
- Heat another skillet over med heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add onions, fennel and garlic and saute for 7-10 minutes or until translucent. Add tomato paste and saute another 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper, and the can of crushed tomato's. Stir well and cook on low simmer for about 1 hour. Stir occasionally. During the last 5 minutes, add your fresh peas. Top with fresh basil (Some cut, I rip mine for the rustic feel) and serve over cooked pasta.
NotesI was at the farmer's market with friends this Saturday and there is a vendor there selling the best peas I've ever had! This dish has to be a top favorite in the catalog of pasta dishes in my collection. This recipe comes from my great grandmother, Nunzia (whom I never knew, but know well in stories). This is a simple dish, passed down through the generations. The fennel is the key ingredient, in my opinion. It picks up the flavor in the sweet sausage and gives a naturally sweeter taste to the sauce
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Bacon Wrapped Mushrooms
Spicy Chicken Ranch Hot Dip
Big Matt's babyback ribsSee More