- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup wine or low sodium chicken broth
- 10 or so fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- cooked penne, about 3/4 of a pound
- Remove sausage from the casing and add it to a lightly oiled, medium hot pan.
- Once it's cooked and browned remove it and drain off most of the grease.
- Add the onions and cook them till they are lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and cook till fragrant.
- Deglaze with the wine or chicken broth.
- Add the tomato sauce, stir, then add the cream and more stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for a couple minutes.
- Add the sausage and basil to the sauce, stir to combine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir it well. Let it simmer on low till the pasta has absorbed some of the sauce.
- Serve hot.
NotesI whipped this up one day while thinking of tomato cream sauce and it has become my favorite pasta dish, hands down. It is one of the richest, most decadent recipes in my arsenal. I normally make it with Italian sausage, but once made it with a sweet (I think it had maple syrup in it) chicken sausage and added some sage to the sauce. That was wicked good too. This one isn't for those who are looking for low fat stuff, it's a heart stopper. Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
50 Shades of Taste
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El JefeSee More
Poblano Macaroni and Cheese
Betty Crocker Raspberry-Lemon Fruit Dip
The Barefoot Contessas Pan Fried Onion DipSee More