- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe came from the better homes and garden new cookbook.I have used this recipe for years and have never came across a recipe that's any better..But of course there is always time.
I hope you try this recipe and love it just like me and my family do.
- * 2 cups all-purpose flour
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt
- * 2/3 cup shortening
- * 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas.
- 2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of mixture, then gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until all is moistened. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one ball of dough. Roll dough from center to edges, forming a 12-inch circle. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch pie plate; ease into pie plate. Add filling as directed in recipes. Trim bottom pastry even with rim of pie plate.
- 4. For top crust, roll remaining dough. Cut slits in top crust; place on filling. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top crust under bottom pastry. Seal; flute edges. Do not prick shell. Bake as directed in recipes.