- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- * 2 cups all-purpose flour
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt
- * 2/3 cup shortening
- * 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas.
- 2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of mixture, then gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until all is moistened. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one ball of dough. Roll dough from center to edges, forming a 12-inch circle. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch pie plate; ease into pie plate. Add filling as directed in recipes. Trim bottom pastry even with rim of pie plate.
- 4. For top crust, roll remaining dough. Cut slits in top crust; place on filling. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top crust under bottom pastry. Seal; flute edges. Do not prick shell. Bake as directed in recipes.
NotesThis recipe came from the better homes and garden new cookbook.I have used this recipe for years and have never came across a recipe that's any better..But of course there is always time.
I hope you try this recipe and love it just like me and my family do.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More