- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cake flour (This will lower the gluten content and make for a more tender crust
- 1 cup (2 sticks) un-salted butter, VERY cold, and cut into very thin slices
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 TB sugar
- Approximately 2/3 - 3/4 cup very cold water
- Mix the flours, salt and sugar with a whisk together very lightly.
- Add slices of butter and work the butter through the flour with your finger tips or a pastry cutter.
- If butter becomes too warm in your hands, place bowl back in refrigerator.
- You still want to be able to see butter in the flour.
- Add the ice-cold water and mix very fast with your hand just enough that the dough coheres.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to let the gluten relax a little.
NotesThe addition of a little cake flour helps reduce the gluten content to produce a tender crust.
This makes 2 9 - 11 inch crusts and can be used for both sweet and savory Tart/Pies, if using for a savory filling, drop the sugar and increase the salt to 1 tsp.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More