- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cake flour (This will lower the gluten content and make for a more tender crust
- 1 cup (2 sticks) un-salted butter, VERY cold, and cut into very thin slices
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 TB sugar
- Approximately 2/3 - 3/4 cup very cold water
- Mix the flours, salt and sugar with a whisk together very lightly.
- Add slices of butter and work the butter through the flour with your finger tips or a pastry cutter.
- If butter becomes too warm in your hands, place bowl back in refrigerator.
- You still want to be able to see butter in the flour.
- Add the ice-cold water and mix very fast with your hand just enough that the dough coheres.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to let the gluten relax a little.
NotesThe addition of a little cake flour helps reduce the gluten content to produce a tender crust.
This makes 2 9 - 11 inch crusts and can be used for both sweet and savory Tart/Pies, if using for a savory filling, drop the sugar and increase the salt to 1 tsp.
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
The Naked MacaronSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More