- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, or from a mix (recommended: Aunt Jemima's)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon grease
- Oil, butter, or clarified margarine, for frying
- Mix well all ingredients, except for the frying oil.
- Heat the frying oil or butter in a medium or large skillet over medium heat.
- Drop the batter, by full tablespoons, into the hot skillet.
- Use about 2 tablespoons of batter per hoecake.
- Fry each hoecake until brown and crisp; turn each hoecake with a spatula, and then brown the other side.
- With a slotted spoon, remove each hoecake to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Leftover batter will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
NotesRecipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show:Paula's Home Cooking
Episode:Busy Working Women's Quick Meal
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce