PAULA DEEN'S SHRIMP & GRITS
- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 servings cooked grits
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced tasso ham*
- 2 tablespoons diced leeks
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced green peppers
- 20 medium to large shrimp, peeled and de-veined, with tails on
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Green onion tops, chopped
- Cook grits according to package directions; set aside and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tasso and saute until crisp. Add diced vegetables and saute until onions are translucent. Add shrimp and saute for 30 to 45 seconds, or until pink. Remove from the pan and set aside. Deglaze the pan with a little white wine. Slowly add the cream and let reduce until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Divide grits among 2 serving plates. Line plate edges with shrimp (10 shrimp per serving). Pour sauce over grits. Garnish with green
- onion tops.
- For a great wedding idea, use martini glasses to serve shrimp and grits, with the grits on the bottom and shrimp and sauce on top.
- *Cook's Note: Tasso is a Cajun ham and is often hard to find outside of Louisiana, but you can find it at some specialty gourmet
- shops or by mail order. If not, you can substitute salt pork, pancetta, or prosciutto, but you will have to beef up your seasonings, as
- tasso is very flavorful.
NotesThis dish was served with Breakfast Casserole and Fluffy Sweet Potato Biscuit at MetroCooking Houston and MetroCooking Dallas in September '13 at the Paula Deen Brunch and Photo Op.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Puff Daddy Pancake
Pumpkin-Cream Cheese Streusel Pie
Tossed Salad With Oil And Vinegar DressingSee More