- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 5
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 pound bulk sausage, mild, hot or sage
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 cups cubed French or Italian bread, crusts removed
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) grated Cheddar
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a deep 13 by 9-inch casserole dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion and saute over medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the hash browns and break apart. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a second frying pan, saute the sausage, breaking apart large clumps. When the sausage is cooked through, remove it from pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mustard, briskly to blend.
- To assemble, spread the onions and hash browns evenly at the bottom of the greased dish. Place the bread cubes evenly on top of hash browns. With a slotted spoon distribute sausage as the third layer. Pour the milk and egg mixture over these layers. Add Parmesan as the next layer, while then adding the Cheddar.
- *Cook's Note: Save a few tablespoons of Cheddar for the last 10 minutes of baking, where you can add a fresh topping of melted Cheddar.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes, until puffed and golden brown
NotesYou gotta love Paula .. and when you have the time .. her recipes are always a Hit! This is the best comfort food that can help heal anything!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
culinary karmaSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More