- Cooking Time: 2 - 4 minutes
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI'm not sure if these can really be considered Corn Fritters. At least they aren't like the ones I've had at restaurants. They're more like hush puppies, only they have corn in them. Whatever you want to call them, they taste great. I did make several changes / additions for flavor and to improve the consistency of the "dough".
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 15 oz can whole corn, drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large heavy pot, heat at least 2" of oil to 325' F
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, garlic powder and creole seasoning
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and egg.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir well.
- Stir in the corn and onions.
- Drop by the tablespoon into the hot oil. Do not add too many as this will cause the oil to reduce in heat. You will need to work in batches.
- Cook for about 2 - 4 minutes, turning once, until golden brown
- Drain on paper towels