Potatoes – 3 diced small
Cauliflower – 2 cups, finely chopped
Frozen Green Peas – 1 cup
Frozen Carrots – ½ cup
Salt – 1 tsp (to taste)
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Water – 2 cups
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Butter – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
Hing (Asofoetida) – pinch
Red Chili Powder – ¼ tsp (to taste)
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Garlic – 2 tsp, minced
Ginger – 2 tsp, minced
Tomato Sauce/ Paste – ½ cup (1/2 of 8 oz. can)
Pav Bhaji Masala – 4 tsp (to taste) (Can buy it from Indian grocery store)
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
1. In a pressure cooker, add Potatoes, Cauliflower, Green Peas, Carrots, Salt, Haldi (Turmeric) and Water and mix well.
2. Pressure cook for 2 whistles and remove pressure after 2 minutes. It it cool for about 15 mins.
3. Heat butter in a non-stick pan.
4. Add Jeera (Cumin seeds) and allow it to sputter.
5. Add Hing (Asafoetida) and Red Chili Powder.
6. Add Onions, Garlic and Ginger – stir well.
7. Cook until oil starts to separate.
8. Add Tomato sauce/paste and mix well.
9. Cook for 2 mins.
10. Add Pav Bhaji Masala and Dhania (Coriander) Powder – mix well and cook for 1 minute.
11. Add Vegetables and lightly mash.
12. Add Lemon Juice and adjust Salt/Chili Powder/Pav Bhaji Masala.
13. Cook for 10 minutes on a slow flame. Garnish it with Cilantro, chopped raw Onions, and a squeeze of Lime juice.
Lemon Juice – ½ tsp (to taste)
Cilantro and Onions– chopped
Serve this vegetable dish with Pav or buns. Use butter roasted buns.
Have a good time eating this dish. :)
Pairs Well With
Pav Bhaji is a wonderful one pot meal. Pav means bread and Bhaji means vegetables. Here is the recipe of Pav Bhaji.