"Flaky oatmeal crust with sweet peach filling"Serves 12 | Prep Time 45m | Cook Time 30m
Oat flaky pie crust (for 22cm pie dish):
180g plain flour
100g oat flour
230g butter, cold
60ml ice cold water
For the filling:
4 cups sliced peaches (about 5-6 medium sized peaches)
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp sugar (to sprinkle)
1. Combine together flours, sugar, and salt. Add cold butter and mix with your fingertips until the mixture has the texture of small peas.
2. Add water to the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon just until the dough comes together.
3. Divide the dough in half, make round flat discs, cover each of them with a plastic wrap and put in a fridge for 30 minutes.
4. For the filling place sliced peaches with sugar into the saucepan and cook over a medium heat. When the sugar is dissolved and peaches are juicy, sprinkle flour over and mix thoroughly.
5. Preheat your oven to 200C. Roll out one piece of chilled dough on a slightly floured surface into a big circle (should be about 5cm wider than a pie dish). Transfer the dough carefully into the dish and press in gently to the bottom and the sides. Put the plate in a fridge until the crust is cold to touch before filling.
6. Meanwhile roll out the second half of the dough into a circle on a baking sheet. Cut the stripes, or cut out the shapes for the crust, and put them in the fridge as well.
7. Fill the pie shell with the filling, decorate with the stripes or any other shapes you like.
8. Brush the top with melted butter, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Pairs Well With
This crust is heavenly good! It is flaky and tender, with a distinct oatmeal taste that makes it almost cookie-like. Crunchy on the top, and soft and juicy on the bottom, this crust will create the perfect pair with sweet, tender peaches.