PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY BARS
Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars
- Cooking Time: 30-35
- Servings: 24-36
- Preparation Time: 20
- nonstick spray
- 1 1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. smooth peanut butter
- 3/4 c. (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. jelly or jam of your choice
- 2/3 c. salted dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8 x 8 metal baking pan with heavy-duty foil, leaving a two-inch overhang around edges. Coat foil with nonstick spray.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Using electric mixer, beat peanut butter, sugar, and butter in large bowl until smooth. Add in egg and vanilla and beat on low speed until smooth.
4. Add flour mixture, beating on low speed just to blend. Transfer half of dough to prepared pan. Place remaining dough in freezer for 10 minutes. Using fingertips, press dough evenly onto bottom of pan. Spread jelly over in even layer.
5. Remove dough from freezer; using fingertips, break into grape-size pieces and scatter over jelly layer. Sprinkle chopped nuts over top.
6. Bake bars until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack. Using foil overhang as aid, lift bars from pan. Gently peel foil from edges. Cut into 16 squares. (Can be made up to three days in advance and stored in an airtight container.)
When school is out and all my kids have successfully been walked to the bus, their parent, the daycare van, what have you, I love to go back to my room, sit down, and enjoy a snack in silence. These peanut butter and jelly bars paired with an ice cold milk from the cafeteria will be just perfect. Classic American school lunch flavors with an extra bit of comfort and sweetness.
Website Credit: http://kelseysappleaday.blogspot.com/2011/08/peanut-butter-and-jelly-bars.html