- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2/3 cup Bobs Red Mill Stone-Ground hot cereal (5, 7, or 10 grain)
- 2/3 cup Quaker Quick Oats
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- For Crust: Spread the Oats and cereal in a shallow pan and toast in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.
- Combine butter and brown sugar, add the toasted cereal and mix until the texture becomes crumbly;
- Press firmly into a 9-inch pie plate;
- Return to oven for 5 minutes more;
- Cool on rack then chill (It must be cold before adding the pie filling)
NotesMy mom use to make this when I was really young; she used a stone-ground 6 grain hot cereal mix that was made by Orowheat© which is no longer available. This has always been my mom’s excuse for no longer making this pie. Personally, I think she stopped making it because you have to use every single mixing bowl in the house and even borrow a couple from the neighbors. Heaven forbid, if you need to make two pies. But in all honesty, it’s well worth it. Bob’s Red Mill© makes a stone-ground cereal now, I prefer the 10 grain myself.