- Cooking Time: 120
- Servings: 2-3
- Preparation Time: 5-10
- - 1,5 liter of water
- - 1 jar of natural/organic peanut butter or Surinam peanut butter either with [Swiet motto] or without [Faja lobo] chilipeppers [370 grams]
- - 250 grams of “zout vlees [salted porkmeat]” or150 grams of smoked bacon in cubes
- - two chicken legs or three chicken thighs
- - 1 onion, cut in pieces
- - 3 sprigs of celery or cilanthro, chopped
- - a quart teaspoon of ground allspice or ca. 6 grains of allspice
- - salt and pepper according to taste
- 1 Put the chicken in the water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 30 mins.
- 2 Add the bacon/”zout vlees” and simmer another 30 mins.
- 3 Take the chicken out and remove the meat from the bones
- 4 Put the meat back in the stock with the onion, allspice and celery or cilanthro
- 5 Melt the peanut butter little by little in the stock
- 6 Simmer another 30 mins., stirring occasionally
- 7 Finish with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve as a soup or serve as a whole meal with
- A Chinese noodles: boil some noodles separately, drain, put in a bowl and pour the soup over the noodles
- B rice: boil some rice according to instructions, make a nice shaped mountain in the center of a soup plate, put some fresh bean sprouts in the simmering soup for about 30 secs and pour the soup around the rice
- C Tomtom: take one peeled ripe yellow banana and peeled green cooking banana, cook them together until done, drain, mash and make small balls, add the balls to the hot soup.
- * Peanut butter, use organic or natural peanut butter without sugar or sweeteners if Surinam peanut butter is not available. You can always sweeten it afterwards if you like. If you can’t buy peanut butter with chilipepper, you can put some chilis with the chicken in the water.
- * You can use chicken meat and cook it together with the bacon or “zout vlees”, but be aware that boneless chicken breasts will taste very dry.
- * Zout vlees [salted meat] is a specific Surinam product, if not available it can be substituted with smoked bacon, but you should use a bit less, for smoked bacon is saltier than “zout vlees”.
NotesI'm hooked on peanuts since I started eating. I was treated on peanut soup a few times and wanted to make it myself really bad, but all I had to go on were oral descriptions of my hosts. Nevertheless I tried and it turned out pretty good.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Paul's Food World Volume 1
The Italian Exchange
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!See More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More