- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
- 3/4 c. light brown sugar
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. mashed very ripe pears (about 2 pears)
- 1 1/2 T. finely chopped, peeled ginger root
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 c. cake flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 c. whipped cream, optional, for garnish
- 1 ripe pear, peeled and sliced, optional, for garnish
- 1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating until blended.
- 2. Add the pears, ginger and vanilla and mix. The mixture may look curdled at this point.
- 3. Sift together the cake flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the pear mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Beat until blended, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Be careful not to over mix.
- 4. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9-inch round cake pan with a removable bottom or a springform pan.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove the cake to a cake plate.
- Serve with whipped cream and pear slices.