Pear and Cranberry Tart
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
2 c flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp sugar
12 tbsp cold unsalted butter, diced (emphasis on COLD)
1/2 c ice water
1 c pecans, toasted and chopped
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 cups (310 grams) fresh whole cranberries, rinsed
2 Bartlett pears (about 389 grams) cored and diced, approx 2 cups
1 cup (212 grams) granulated sugar
2½ tablespoons (25 grams) cornstarch OR 1/4 c flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
1. Fill 1/2 c measuring cup with water and drop in a few ice cubes; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
2. Sprinkle the diced butter over the flour and begin to work it in using the pastry blender -- scoop and redistribute the mixture as needed so all parts are worked evenly. STOP when the butter pieces are the size of small peas (note that this won't take very long), even if the dough looks uneven
3. Dribble in the very cold water and gather the dough together using a silicon spatula. You may need an additional 1/4 c water, but add it one tbsp at a time. Once you are pulling out large clumps with the spatula, take it out use your hands to gather the disparate damp clumps together into one mound, kneading gently.
4. Divide the dough in half and place in plastic wrap. (Deb Perelman recommends using the plastic wrap to pull in the dough and shape it into a disk.) Let the dough chill in the fridge for at least one hour, but two is better and it can stay in the fridge for about one week.
When you're ready to make the tart:
1. Spray and flour a tart pan
2. Take out one of the dough halves, roll dough out so that it is large enough to fit into the tart pan. Press it into the sides and remove any excess bits that hang over the edges.
3. Place tart pan (with dough) in the fridge. Melt 2 tbsp butter and set aside to cool
4. Remove second half of dough and roll out so that it is large enough to fit into tart pan.
5. Remove tart pan from the fridge. Brush melted butter over dough, then sprinkle with toasted pecans. Place second half of dough over the first half, and press the dough together to form a unified crust. Remove any excess dough that is hanging over the edges of the pan. Score the dough liberally with a fork tine, return to fridge.
6. Peel, core, and dice pears into 3/4 in pieces. Pour 1 tbsp vanilla over pears, then add cranberries to the bowl and mix together
7. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch (OR flour), ginger, cinnamon, and allspice. Slowly add this mixture to the pears and cranberries, mixing thoroughly.
8. Pour pear and cranberry mixture onto the tart pan, spread evenly, and return to the fridge until you are ready to bake.
Baking the tart:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Bake for 45 minutes
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Tart