PEARL BARLEY LENTIL STEW WITH CRISPY SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS
- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, broken down in a blender which then should
- equal about 1/2 cups.
- 6-7 garlic cloves, minced
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp organic butter
- 1 carton of organic beef flavored broth ( I like Imagine)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 small organic carrots, diced thinly
- 1 package of natural sausage, I like Al Fresco brand and their
- flavored roasted garlic, onion and herb chicken sausage. (Cut into
- slices.) Optional.
- spices of your choice, like cayenne, minced onions, garlic powder.
- Herbs of your choice, like fresh sage.
- Place your blended mushrooms into a medium stock pot, add olive oil
- and butter. Place heat on medium high, cook for about 2-3 minutes
- before adding garlic, cook 1 minute more adding chopped sausage and
- next your carton of broth with your 1 cup of barley.
- Cook on low heat uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add your thinly chopped carrots, 1 cup of lentils along with your 1
- cup of white wine. Cook another 20-25 minutes slightly covered until
- done. If you feel like you need more liquid, just add desired amount
- of broth or water.
- I like to add spices/herbs right at the end, so this is when I would
- do it.
- Serve with whole wheat bread, home made is great just chunks of it to
- dunk into your soup.
NotesVery easy delicious healthy stew.
I got the idea of crisping up the mushrooms like you usually would
bacon in a soup like this, and it came out really well. This can be
either vegetarian or not. I used a Chicken sausage which you can
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More