- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/4 pounds unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 cup good honey
- 3 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the crust, beat the butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, until light, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the batter with the mixer on low speed until just combined.
- Press the dough evenly into an ungreased 18 by 12 by 1-inch baking sheet, making an edge around the outside.
- It will be very sticky; sprinkle the dough and your hands lightly with flour.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is set but not browned.
- Allow to cool.
- For the topping, combine the butter, honey, brown sugar, and zests in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until the butter is melted, using a wooden spoon to stir.
- Raise the heat and boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the heavy cream and pecans.
- Pour over the crust, trying not to get the filling between the crust and the pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. Cut into bars and serve.
NotesI got this recipe off of Foodtv by Ina Garten "Barefoot Contessa".
I've made them twice and I love them. Beware! it has a lot of butter.....I could feel my waste expanding as I prepare to make them LOL. Trust me they are worth the treat. WOW!!!! A suggestion - half the recipe unless you need to make a large amount. They are fine without the chocolate too.