- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1 Tb. plus 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. pecans
- vanilla sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and salt. Process briefly 'til well mixed. Add butter and vanilla and, using rapid off-on pulses, cut in 'til mixture resembles fine meal. Add pecans and process 'til finely chopped.
- Transfer mixture to lrg. sheet of waxed paper and gather together into flat disk. Top with second sheet of waxed paper. Roll out dough 1/4". Using 3" or 11/2" heart-shaped cutter, cut out cookies. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them 1/2" apart. Gather up scraps, roll out again and cut out addtional cookies. Sprinkle cookies with vanilla sugar, if desired.
- Bake 'til just beginning to color, about 20 min. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool for 5 min. Transfer cookies to racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temp for up to 1 week.
- Makes about 2 dozen 3" cookies.
- Vanilla Sugar
- 1 1/2 vanilla beans
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- Cut vanilla beans into 1 1/2" lengths. Place in food processor fitted with metal blade or in blender and process. Add 1/2 c. sugar and process 'til vanilla beans are finely chopped. Add remaining 1 1/2 c. sugar and process 'til thoroughly incorporated.
- Strain sugar through fine-mesh sieve to remove any lrg. pieces of vanilla bean. Store in airtight container.
- Makes about 2 cups
Notes"These pretty, delicate cookies are perfect with coffee or as the finish to a romantic meal. Cut them into any shape you like and sprinkle with vanilla sugar to liven them up. It is fun to use several sizes of cutters, too."
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2014
Adventures in CookingSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More