- Cooking Time: 15
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) (113 g) Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (1.25 oz) (31g) Confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup (2.25 oz) (66 g) Light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large Egg yolk (save the white if you want to do an egg wash)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract or the Caviar of 1/2 Vanilla Bean
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Orange Oil or the zest of 1/2 Orange
- 1 1/2 cups (7 oz) (188 g) AP Flour
- 1/4 tsp Fleur de Sel
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) (170g) Toasted Pecans; coarse ground
- Egg White Wash
- Demerara Sugar
- Cream Butter, Confectioners' and Brown Sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the Egg Yolk, Vanilla, Cinnamon and Orange oil, mixing until well combined.
- Add Fleur de Sel, Pecans and AP Flour, stirring to incorporate.
- Divide dough in half,placing the first half of the dough on a sheet of wax paper and form a log.
- Fold wax paper over and place a sheet pan near the base of the log.
- Hold the bottom piece of the was paper and press down and forward with the edge of the sheet pan,
- this will force the dough into an even log of about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in diameter.
- Roll the log in the wax paper and chill for at least 2 hours (Repeat the process with the second half of the dough using a new piece for wax paper)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove a dough log from the refrigerator and slice 1/4-1/3 inch thick.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet (you can place them pretty close as they do not spread very much)
- Brush the top with egg white wash and sprinkle with Demerara Sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes, just until the edges start to brown.
- After removing from the oven, leave the Sandies on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to a rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, brew some Espresso and consume with zeal!!
NotesIt's Pecan Sandie Day - June 23rd... :)
Pecan Sandie is a rustic version of the French Pecan Sable; Owing its flavor to coarsely ground toasted pecans and brown sugar.
A hint of Orange and a sprinkle of Demerara sugar take these delicious cookies to the next level of superb-ness.