PENNE IN CREAMY BASIL-WALNUT SAUCE
- 2 slices white bread (1/2-ounce)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 pound uncooked penne rigate pasta
- Chopped parsley (optional)
Trim crusts from bread. Place bread in a shallow dish; pour milk over bread. Let stand 5 minutes.
Place bread mixture in a food processor; add basil and next 6 ingredients (basil through garlic). Set aside without processing.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 3 tablespoons cooking liquid.
Place pasta in a large bowl. Add reserved cooking liquid to basil mixture in food processor, and process until smooth.
Add the pesto to pasta; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.