PENNE WITH SAUSAGE ARRABIATA
- 1 lb. Italian or andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- salt to taste
- chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook penne until al dente.
Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook sausage until evenly browned. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onion and cook until it begins to turn translucent. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients, except for parsley. Stir in sausage and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Pour over penne, and top with parsley if desired.