- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is my mother-in-laws recipe with a couple variations of my own. She always uses Lima Beans and a lot less bacon than I do. Classic PA Dutch sweet and sour flavors will change everyone's mind about eating good for you beans!
- 2 Cans Butter Beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/8 Cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (or a bit more or less, to taste)
- 1lb bacon, chopped (just a rough chop is fine - as small or big as you like)
- 1/2 medium onion - chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Render bacon with onion in a skillet
- over medium heat until browned and crisp. Drain all but about 2 TBL of grease and return pan to heat. Add tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar and water. Combine ingredients and heat through. Add beans and carefully fold in (don't want to mash them). When combined, transfer mixture to a lightly greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for 1 hour, stirring once halfway through. Delicious!