- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 C. evaporated milk
- 2 C. brown sugar
- 2 T. butter
- 1 t. good vanilla
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1 C. chopped nuts
- Combine milk and sugar.
- Cook slowly stirring only until sugar is dissolved.
- Cook until 226 degrees or soft ball stage is reached.
- Add butter.
- Cool slightly.
- Add other ingredients and beat until creamy. Pour into greased 8 x 8 dish.
- Cut into serving sized pieces.
- Soft ball stage is a less than scientific term that is crucial to many candy recipes.
- When you think the candy may have cooked enough, drop a 1/2 teaspoon or so of the candy mixture into cold water.
- If the mass falls to the bottom of the cup in a less than adhesive glob, cook on.
- When you can reach into the water and pick up the mass of candy and gently fondle it into a pliable and giving ball--woohoo!
- You can move onto the next step.
- If these instructions are less than explanatory--buy a candy thermometer.
- The only problem with the candy thermometer is that you aren't tasting the fudge on a regular basis and you aren't getting that marvelous tactile sensation!!
NotesWhat a great memory; penuche prepared by my Mother or my sis. I scrolled up and down the subcategories looking for the right slot for penuche. Fudge my not be exact but there is no category for wonderful childhood memories that make you say AWWWW.
This candy has a great brown sugary taste that is creamy and mild.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!See More
Old Fashioned Railroad Navy Bean Soup
Rice A Roni Meatballs
Homemade Vanilla ExtractSee More