- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- - 1 pound large shrimp in their shells(25 count)
- - 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- - 1 teaspoon sea salt
- - 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or ¾ teaspoon Szechuan peppercorn
- - 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- - 2 minced garlic cloves
- - 1 chopped red chilli pepper(optional)
- - 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Cut each shrimp shell lengthwise along back with scissors, leaving last segment intact, then devein shrimp, leaving shell in place.
- Cut off feathery legs and sharp pointed section of shell above soft tail fins.
- Rinse shrimp and soak it in lightly salted luke-warm water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Lightly coat the shrimp with cornstarch.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a preheated wok on high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the shrimp and stir-fry until the prawns turn pink(about one minute). Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Clean out the wok.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok.
- When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic, chili pepper, salt and peppercorn mixture.
- Stir-fry until fragrant (10 - 15 seconds) and then add the shrimp back into the wok.
- Stir-fry to coat the shrimp in the salt and peppercorn mixture.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the green onions.
NotesThis dish could be cooked two ways. One is to leave the head on the prawns and the other one is to remove it. I much prefer leaving the head on, because it looks better and the best part about eating the prawn is to pull the head off and suck the juice out of it. I know it may gross some people out, but don't knock it until you've try it!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More