- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 20 servings
- Preparation Time: 1-3/4 hours + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
- Red food coloring
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; set aside. In a heavy large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, vinegar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Slowly add the milk; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in peppermint oil and food coloring, keeping face away from mixture, as odor is very strong. Pour into prepared pan. Let stand for 8 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- With well-buttered fingers, quickly pull candy until firm but pliable (color will become light pink). Pull into a 1/2-in. rope; cut into 1-in. pieces. Wrap each in waxed paper.
NotesFor a fun afternoon activity, get the kids or friends involved in an old-fashioned taffy pull. The soft, chewy taffy has a luscious minty flavor, and it won't stick to the wrapper. You can change the color and flavor, too.
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Salade asiatique aux rabioles à la sauce thaïe
Pumpkin Chip Cupcakes
Breakfast CalzonesSee More