- Cooking Time: 8
- Servings: 30
- Preparation Time: 140
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (from about 1 orange)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling out)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract, almond extract and orange zest; mix. Add two cups flour, baking powder and salt. Mix. Add remaining flour and mix just until flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth and soft.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes (2 hours preferably). Dust your counter with powdered sugar or flour and roll the dough to desired thickness.
- Cut the dough into shapes. Place the cookies on a lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Keep in mind that the cookies won’t appear browned at all when they are done baking so don’t let them overbake! (You can lightly touch them to check for doneness – still soft but not gooey)
- Cool the cookies completely on a wire rack before frosting.