Persian Chicken Kabab (Jujeh kabab)
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 teaspoon ground saffron threads dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
1 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled, and crushed
2 tablespoons zest of orange
2 tablespoons low - sugar yogurt (Siggi's Icelandic Style Skyr o% Plain,
Dannon carb control, FAGE or Chobani, plain)
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
4 Cornish hens, about 4 pounds, each cut into 10 pieces, OR 4 pounds of chicken drumettes, OR 3 pounds boneless chicken cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
5 medium tomatoes, halved
6 flat, swordlike skewers
optional: pinch of sea salt
For the baste:
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (I like Unsalted Land O' Lakes)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
optional: 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. In a large bowl, combine half the saffron water and the lime juice, olive oil, onions, garlic, orange zest, yogurt, salt, and pepper. Beat well with a fork.
2. Add the pieces of Cornish hen or chicken and toss well with marinade. Cover and marinate for at least 8 hours and up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Turn the chicken twice during this period.
3. Preheat the oven broiler.
4. Skewer the tomatoes.
5. Spear wings, breasts, and legs onto different skewers (they require different cooking times).
6. Broil the chicken pieces in a broiler pan for 10 minutes on each side. During the cooking the door of the broiler should be shut. In this way the broiled chicken will be tender. There is no need to spear chicken pieces onto skewers.
For the baste:
1. Add the juice of 1 lime and the remaining saffron water to the melted butter. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix well and set aside.
2. Paint the tomato and chicken with the basting mixture.
3. Grill the chicken and tomatoes 8 to 15 minutes, until done.
Turn frequently and baste occasionally. The chicken is done when the juice that runs out is yellow rather than pink.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Poultry