- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 8 slices dark whole grain bread
- 4 slices white bread for toasting
- 200 g (7 oz) european crayfish tails
- 250 g (9 oz) hotsmoked salmon or arctic char
- 100 g (3.5 oz) coldsmoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon creamy sour milk
- 2 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Chop the crayfish tails and dill. Add the crème fraiche and the creamy sour milk. Mix and taste. Chop the chives finely and flake the hotsmoked salmon with a fork. Add the mayonnaise and the lemon juice to the salmon and chives. Mix and taste.
- Cut the slices of bread into circles using a timbale. Place a slice of whole grain brown bread at the bottom of the timbale. Add a layer of approximately 1 cm (0.4 inch) of the salmon-mayonnaise mix. In order that the light fish and crayfish pastes will distinguish colourwise from the bread, the middle slice of bread should also be a rye one.
- Spread crayfish paste on the middle slice of bread. Add a slice of white bread. Press the cake out of the timbale. Cover the top-most slice of bread with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Decorate with coldsmoked salmon and dill.
- Smokiness of the salmon combined with a distinctive rye flavor from the bread can be difficult to match a wine to. Hartwall 1836 Gourmet beer is a result of collaboration between a brewing master and a head chef. Their goal was to make a beer that would compliment different fish dishes. Petit Sandwich Cake and 1836 Gourmet beer is a truly
- wonderful match.
NotesA sandwich cake loaf is very commonly used in Scandinavia. However, other than at graduation, birthday and other big parties it is almost never served. This is probably due to the fact that a cake loaf is cumbersome to make and to prepare it for a smaller group is not considered worthwhile. This recipe gives you an alternative: a petite sandwich cake is quick to make and a superb appetizer considering its size.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More