PETITE GINGER AND RHUBARB LOAF CAKE
- Servings: 2- 3
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled (can substitute canola oil)
- 1 large egg white
- 3 Tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons candied ginger, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup rhubarb, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 350̊ F. Grease and flour a 5 3/4 X 3 1/8 X 2 1/8 - inch petite loaf cake pan
In a medium bowl combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, the salt and the sugar. Whisk to blend and set aside..
Combine the butter, the egg white and the milk in a medium bowl. Stir until just combined. Pour into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Stir in the ginger and rhubarb.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 - 45 minutes. Remove from oven and set the pan, with cake, on a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes. Run a flat knife around the edges of the pan to loosen cake. Invert the cake on the rack and cool completely.
If desired, sift powdered sugar over the top of the cake before serving.
Serves 2 - 3