This recipe goes with: Phad Thai Garnish
- Servings: 4
- 8 oz Thick rice noodles. These should be soaked at room
- temperature for an hour or more depending on how soft you
- prefer the noodles. It may take some experimentation to
- determine your preference.
- 5-6 garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbl. Shallots, chopped shallots
- 1/2 c Shrimp
- 1/4 c Fish sauce
- 3 Tbl. Pickled radish, chopped
- 1/4 c Palm sugar, crushed (or brown sugar)
- 1 c Roasted peanuts, coarsely broken up and split into ½ c.
- 2 tsp. tamarind concentrate mixed with 5 teaspoons water
- 1 med Egg, beaten
- 1/4 c Scallions, chopped
- 1 c Mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 c Fried tofu that has been diced (1/2" cubes)
- Works best to fry firm tofu slices in 375 degree
- of canola oil, till golden.
1. Heat a little canola oil in a wok and add the garlic and shallots, and briefly stir fry until they just shows signs of changing color.
2. At this point one option is to add chicken meat and cook a bit longer until the chicken is golden, if you prefer chicken pad Thai. Otherwise, add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the remaining ingredients except the egg and the bean sprouts, and stir fry until the noodles soften (about 5 minutes).
As you stir the noodles, periodically throw in 1-2 tablespoons of water.
4. Continuing to stir with one hand, slowly "drizzle" in the beaten egg to form a fine ribbon of cooked egg (if you don't feel confident with this make an egg crepe separately, and then roll it up and slice it into quarter inch wide pieces, which you add to the mix at this point).
5. Add fried tofu and toss.
6. Add the bean sprouts and cook for no more than another 30 seconds. Remove from the pan to a serving platter.